Thursday 23 October 2014

Has Social Media Killed Gaming Forums?!

I’m back…… Hopefully I’ll be a bit more active this time round! I’m not going to bother with an ‘introduction post’ because if anyone actually reads this they will probably know who I am anyway! During a conversation with T3RRAF0RM (one of my xbox friends!) he said something that really got me thinking….. He said ‘I think twitter has killed a lot of gaming forums, it’s a shame really’ and sadly I think he might be right. The conversation came about over a gamer night post I offered to do for him on Ruff Gaming. I’m trying to get more people through the forum to see what we are all about etc etc. and T3RRAF0RM regularly hosts a Battlefield 4 night. My idea was to post it up and allow people to sign up and join in, thus increasing site traffic! But maybe he is right? What do you think? Has social media (not putting the blame solely on Twitter) really killed gaming forums? I mean how easy is it to organise a gamer night these days? Post a quick tweet out, tag the relevant people and await the response, boom, night sorted. Gone are the days of forum posts, meaning people had to sign up to show their interest and willingness to get involved. Yes it is much quicker but what are we losing by using 140 characters? Exactly that! We are limited to 140 characters, half of that can be taken up by mentioning people who you think will get involved (can usually involve multiple tweets about the same thing). So you have an average of 70 characters to say what game, what date and what time you will be playing… Can be pushing it right? And what if you want to ask a question about that night as you send it out, such as does everyone have a certain DLC? It can get very confusing! At least with a forum post everything can be there for people to see on one post, plus with the added comments section, you can answer any questions or even propose your own? I feel there can be a lot more interaction by using a forum! I’d love to hear what people think on this…. Please comment below or contact me via Twitter (@iceman_d18) with your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Me getting you thinking, got you getting me thinking. So I had a quick look at that gaming forums that I'm registered with. Out of the 4 gaming forums I'm registered with, there's only one you would call active.http://www.oldgamerz.co.uk
    I do know mojo interactive (360 gamercast) now use Facebook. I'm not really a fan of Facebook and gaming is my guilty pleaser. I don't want all the people on my Facebook seeing my posts about gaming. So I stay away. I have seen people advertising gamernights on the new xbox one friends feed. Maybe that's the future?
    With regards to gamernights, might it be worth starting a ruff gamernight twitter account?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot of thinking going on!

    I know what you mean about Facebook, my social media is kind of split... my facebook is more what I do outside the house but majority of my twitter stuff is gaming related.

    There are all kinds of changes being planned with Ruff Gaming and I would hate to see the forum die out because it is a great community with a great group of gamers and without a forum can you class it as a community?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point but im sure once the competitions start up again the forum will pick up. Its a shame the Ruff cast never went anywhere.

      Delete